August has been the month of Summer Slam, a broken camera (I nearly cried but it’s fixed now!), the announcement of season two of Glow, I booked in my first wedding of 2018 (I’m a wedding photographer in case you didn’t know!) I vlogged a lot, I passed my driving theory test (again) and I’m happy to see summer coming to an end.
Lifestyle & Homeware
I went to Scarborough with Ashleigh, she drove all the way there and I’m so proud of her for doing so! We had some chips, she had an ice cream and I had the seaside donuts I’ve been wanting for so long! She took some cute candids of me for Instagram and of course I got my Zoltar fortune.
I drove to York with my mum and Stephen where we met up with my nana, granddad, auntie Ruth, Mark and Rose. We wandered around the walls then went for tea and had an ice cream on the river front from the ice cream boat.
We ate at The Star Inn The City which was lovely, very fancy. Too fancy for me and Stephen, we felt a bit odd!
Aaaaand I started weekend vlogging… You can find my channel here! (Please show it some love!!!)
Technology & Music
Let’s talk about Haim‘s cover of That Don’t Impress Me Much. My goodness I’ve never loved a cover so much. The Shania Twain original is a girl power anthem but Haim’s performance on the radio show Like A Version brought a whole other dimension to the song, absolutely beautiful.
I have well and truly immersed myself into the world of YouTube, I’ve even found a beauty channel AND a fashion channel that don’t bore me to death! Jamie Genevieve and Megan Ellaby, absolute angels. I have been a loyal subscriber for a few months but I’m obsessed with Jamie’s weekly vlogs and I love Megan’s Instagram stories.
Tv, Movies, Books & Art
Yes, I have finally started reading again!!! Rachel’s Holiday by Marian Keyes caught my attention because of it’s beautiful cover. ‘Never judge a book by it’s cover’ blah blah blah, but seriously, look at it.
“They said I was a drug addict. But my occasional drug use was strictly recreational. And hey, surely drug addicts are skinny?” ‘Rachel is living it up in New York City, spending her nights talking her way into glamorous parties before heading home in the early hours to her hot boyfriend Luke. Then her sensible older sister shows up and even though it seems like a bad joke, she finds herself in actual rehab. It’s there that she’s supposed to kick her non-existent drug habit – and to get over losing Luke. Luke’s a fox; he’s also strong and kind, but he had more than he can take of Rachel. None of this was part of her plan and saying goodbye to fun will be hard. But not as hard as losing the man that, too late, she believes might be the love of her life…’
I’m only on chapter 12 but after not reading for so long, I’m certainly captivated. And yes I’ve genuinely been using some lavender as a bookmark, that’s not even a prop for the photo…
I went to see Baby Driver TWICE in the cinema this month, I think in the same week… Instant cult classic, Ansel Elgort is such a wonderful actor and I’m weirdly even more in love with Jon Hamm than I was previously.
Baby (Ansel Elgort) is a partially hearing impaired getaway driver who listens to various iPods whilst driving for his boss, Doc (Kevin Spacey). Then of course the romantic interest comes in, Deborah (Lily James) and Baby thinks he can cut ties with his criminal career and run away with his new lady and start again.
The Stanford Prison Experiment (2015). In 1971, Stanford’s Professor Philip Zimbardo conducted a controversial psychology experiment in which college students pretend to be either prisoners or guards for 14 days to see how quickly they lose touch with their identity. Twenty-four male students out of the seventy-five that applied were selected to take on randomly assigned roles of prisoners and guards in a mock prison situated in the basement of the Stanford psychology building and it was all shot in just 21 days. Ezra Miller and Michael Angarano stole the show portraying Daniel Culp (prisoner 8612) and Christopher Archer (a guard/correctional officer).
Summer Slam was on the Sunday night/Monday early morning, kick off pre-show started at 11pm ish and the first two matches were on during that, I’ll write the winners in bold in attempt to make this segment a little shorter than usual!
Pre-show: The Cruiserweight (Akira Tozawa vs. Neville) and SmackDown Tag Team championships (The New Day vs. The Usos).
THEN FOR SOME REASON HBK (Shawn Michaels) CAME INTO THE RING DRESSED AS COLONEL SANDERS FROM KFC?! I really hope he got a paid a lot for that…
- SmackDown Live women’s champion Naomi vs. Natalya. (Mad about it, also confused as to why Carmella didn’t cash in her Money In The Bank?)
- John Cena vs. Baron Corbin
- Big Cass vs. Big Show with Enzo Amore suspended above the ring in a shark cage. (Big Cass (the cass-hole) is nothing without Enzo, the most exciting part of the match was the fact that ENZO MANAGED TO ESCAPE FROM THE CAGE!!!)
- Randy Orton vs. Rusev. (Boooooring.)
- Raw women’s champion Alexa Bliss vs. Sasha Banks. (Praise the fcnk lorrrrrd, no idea why I hate Alexa Bliss so much but I just do and her eyelash fell off which was really funny. All hail Queen Sasha.)
- Bray Wyatt vs. “The Demon” Finn Balor. (Actual love of my life.)
- Raw tag team champions Sheamus and Cesaro vs. Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins. (INCREDIBLE MATCH but very disappointed that there was so Shield reunion even though all of them wore black and red!!!!!)
- WWE champion Jinder Mahal vs. Shinsuke Nakamura. (Fuming doesn’t even begin to cover it. If Jinder didn’t have his stupid Singh henchmen, he wouldn’t have stood a change against my angel Shinsuke.)
- United States champion AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens with Shane McMahon as special guest referee. (I swear I held my breath during the entire match.)
- Fatal Four Way WWE universal champion Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Samoa Joe vs. Braun Strowman. (In short, incredible. Lesnar had two announcer tables thrown at him and one dropped on him by Strowman, Reigns and Joe could’ve just not been there tbh.)
Now these are cosmetic accessories but still, they count! I picked up a brush cleaner thingy that makes me feel uncomfortable when I look at it, a double ended beauty blender for my colour correcting and some eyelash curlers as I haven’t used them in years. All from Asda as they had a three for two offer on and I’m a sucker for a deal!
Clothing & Accessories
I picked up these black gingham trousers from Topshop in the sale for £25 (just like my pink ones last month!) and now I can’t remember how I used to only ever wear black leggings and black skinny jeans?!?!? I styled them with my new Dr Martens ( which are also a lifetime fave never mind a monthly) in my recent review post which you can find here.
This glittery Mickey Mouse backpack of dreams was only £12 from Primark (of course) and I’ve used it every single day since I bought it. It fits my DSLR, purse, medication pouch, keys, phone and a bottle of water in perfectly, it’ll 100% be coming to Disneyland Paris with me in January!!!
Cya in September xo